Sunday, May 8, 2011

3 Steps to a More Productive Day

I define productivity as "doing what I said I was going to do in the time frame I said I was going to do it". Your definition may be a little different but the end result is the same for you to feel your day was productive.

Here are the 3 steps I feel are necessary for me to be productive:

1. Start with a "To Do" list and identify the highest priorities. Next, tackle the most difficult items first. Ever read the book "Eat That Frog"? http://www.amazon.com/That-Frog-Great-Ways-Procrastinating/dp/1583762027/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304864287&sr=1-1
The tendency is to take care of the easy ones first but I have found it is best to work from toughest to easiest. Give it a try!

2. Time Block. Turn off your phones,, exit out of your email, and put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door if you need to. I try to target 30 minute increments several times a day, then I reward myself by setting a goal. For example, I may say, I am going to devote 30 minutes to this project and when I finish I will go to lunch. Sounds simple enough, but how many times have you said I will go to lunch first and tackle the task when I get back, only to have an interruption come up and your day ends without completing the task you set as a high priority at the beginning of the day?

3. Minimize office Chit Chat. Sure, it's fun to discuss the latest episode of American Idol, but leave that to after hours if you want to have a more productive day.

I hope these steps help you take on your day in a more productive manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment